Thursday, January 15, 2009

January 14

January 14, Wednesday. A lovely lunch with a local and still visa hunting. I have a job offer pending a visa. I’m this close to living here. Weird. Wow. Ha!

I splurge. Sensibility (I have some???) says so. I pay $200 for an appointment with immigration lawyer. Unfortunately my $30 phone call with Australian Immigration told me nothing. I’ll expect more from this and if it gets me my job, with out a marriage to an Aussie, then it’s worth it. Of course, I know it’s not corporate America when, in my first 5 minutes of the interview the Sr VP and VP suggest that I could “just marry an Aussie” to get my visa and work for them. Sure. In all my five days here. Well, then again, the security guy from the Opera Bar last night would have, I’m quite sure.

****!!!!! Oh Happy Days -- I find I really can get a visa that will [mostly] work for me! It's a 456 Business Activities Visa

Lesson: Most travelers here are on work/holiday visas which everyone told me I could get. Unfortunately due to my dashingly youthful good looks, I exceed that qualification by … well… years.

I call the company and tell them, “I’m all yours!!! Australian Idol, here I come!!!”

So, I’d call it a 5 handstand day.

No comments:

Post a Comment