Thursday, January 15, 2009

January 15

January 15: Drats! The company won't accept my 456 Visa Business Activities. I'm getting a huge run around. They won't accept the Student Visa either. My only option is the 457 Company Sponsored Business Visa but I have to pay for it myself upfront. Hmmmm... I called the personnel agency they recommended and that angle doesn't work either. I'm contacting lawyers and friends and advisers. There must be a work around. They need a visa solution from me today or they offer the job to someone else.

I gotta get to the beach sometime. It's summer in Sydney. Why am I spending all day on the internet in CBD?

Lesson: Yah, they don't know the term "downtown" -- it's Central Business District.
Gotta get this visa "sorted". Not organized or fixed but ... sorted. Very popular word.

4pm: was a beautiful hot sunny summer day, and I was regretting not being at the beach. But as I sit here outside the cafe writing on the computer under an umbrella, the thunder cracks, the sky opens and it begins pouring. Still a perfect temperature anyway.

In the miracle category, I ran into my Mauritian friend today. He's celebrating a new job and a new approved apartment. As he overheard my visa situation as I'm dealing with the company he called "a friend" for me. The guy says that the company will cover my visa ... suddenly ... with a few contacts. Whoa. I gotta see this. On second thought, no thanks. Sounds sketchy. Let's just see how it plays out. I tell the company let's do it, I'll cover the visa if they sponsor. I'm waiting to hear back.

But speaking of real miracles, I'm sure glad I wasn't flying out of LGA to Charlotte today! Damn geese.

I hear from all my new Sydney friends today -- they feel for me. That's nice to have support. I think they're equally excited for me to get a job and stay here.

The day closes with no final answers. I have to wait for their decision on how to proceed. Sucks it got so complicated. The B-Boys are now taking Chinese classes in the evening and they pick me up after and we head to Kings Cross to "Deans 2", a quiet, artsy spot. I get to learn a few Chinese words here and there as they practice. We ask what happened to Deans 1. We think it burned down.

It's a 2 Handstand Day. Was one, but nice finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment